Ikke logget ind
Forside / Forum / Hjælp til at finde dine aner / Help with immigration records

Christopher Hodge
29 Aug 2020 - 04:51
Help with immigration records

Hello.

I have finally been able to find some information on my great grandparents that identified their nationality as Danish. The issue was with their surnames record on their Queensland death certificates.  

My great grandfather was recorded as Christian Tobias Fritz who tragically drowned in 1871. His inquest report mention that he was Danish born and was known as Fritz the German.

After extensive researching the Qld. immigration records and finding no matching records I have been able to find records for a Tobias Christian Frik, Maren Petersen Frik (Schau), Tobias Christian Frik, Niels Peter Frick and Anna Marie Frick (Dee) my great grandmother. 

Their son Neils Peter passed away during the voyage and was buried at sea and Maren passed away five months after arriving in 1874. Their death certificate records Abenra in Denmark as their birthplace.

They arrived on the ship Eugenie that departed Hamburg on the 16 June 1873 arriving in Kepple Bay, Rockhampton on the 30th October 1873.  

The question I have is it possible to find any immigration records that would provide any additional information in relation to their residence etc. I have looked through the Danish Police online immigration records with no luck.

Thank you for your time. 

Kind regards 

Chris Hodge 

Britta Hansen
29 Aug 2020 - 13:45:23
Svar: Help with immigration records

Anna Marie Frick *16.3.1869 in the Name Register

The baptism in the church book - her parents were Tobias Christiansen Frick f[ra] Ahnholm [Andholm in Øster Løgum Parish] and Maren født Petersen Schau

Please link to the death certificates - how old were they when they died?; this would be very interesting. Being born in Åbenrå might be in Åbenrå County.

You should always write details about the persons and link to records found!

Niels Peter Frick *6.8.1871 Øster Løgum, Sønder Rangstrup, Åbenrå

Tobias Christensen Frik *27.5.1838 in the Name Register Øster Løgum - His baptism [13.6.] Tobias Christiansen Frik - parents Christian Tobias Frik and Anne Marie Nielsdatter

Britta Hansen
29 Aug 2020 - 14:03:53

Christian Tobias Frick died 4.6.1889 Aabenraa 88 years old - his four children are listed: Christian Tobias 50 years old living in Australia ... Anna Dorothea in America, Niels Christian in Kolding [DK], Peter Tobias in Horsens [DK]

He was born in Copenhagen in May 1801

Christopher Hodge
30 Aug 2020 - 02:40:24

Hi Britta 

Thank you for replying and the information you have given has confirmed that Christian and Maren are my grandparents. 

It's difficult to link to the death certificates as they are PDF downloads from the Queensland Achieves. Here is the information recorded: 

Maren was age 37 years was married in Apenrade at age 27, children Christian age 8 years and Anna Maria age 5 years. The parents were recorded as Christian Frick (Blacksmith) and Anna Maria (unknown). The informant was a surgeon at the hospital which would explain why Christian parents are recorded. 

Niels age is recorded as 2 years with his birth place as Oster Logum, Apenrade, Schleswig Prussia.  I found in the Name Register link the recording of Niels Peter born 14/6/1867 and died 10/10/1867. This explains the Family Search christening record I found for him. It indicates another child for Christian and Maren and Niels Peter age is correct on his death certificate.

Christian Tobias Fritz: age 44 years, birth place Germany, children Christian Tobias age 15 years and Annie Tobias age 13 years.

Annie Dee (Anna Marie Frik): age 67 years, father Tobias Fritz (Laborer, mother Annie (unknown), born Port Said.  (Their has always been a family history that Annie was born at sea because of the death certificate entry and now her true history has been explained.) 

To say their naming and different spelling has been very confusing is an understatement. I’m very excited to research further now I am on the right track and for the availability of detail Danish records.

My research shows that in 1864 Denmark loses the war against Prussia and due to the history between Denmark and Germany being so fluid and complex, that it might be difficult to make a definite pronouncement on an ancestor’s nationality.

Christian and Maren  life circumstances was very sad and finding their true identities has been very rewarding and with the additional information you have given in relation to his father and siblings  I can now undertake further research into the understanding where they actually lived in Denmark.

Kind regards

Chris Hodge

Britta Hansen
30 Aug 2020 - 22:50:52

When and where did Maren Petersen Schau die? date?

I believe you can share files, photos etc. with us via the dropbox system or similar system. And you can insert a small but readable screen shot of a file/picture to show exact data.

Tobias Christiansen Frik and Maren Skau married on May 5, 1865 in Hjordkær, Rise, Åbenrå She was born on Feb 7, 1838 to Niels Petersen Skau in Aarslev and Anna, born Petersen

Christopher Hodge
30 Aug 2020 - 23:22:33

She died on the 18 March 1874 in Athelstane Range, Rockhampton, Queensland from Disability.

Here is a link to a one drive file: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ali6z3bC2sNegaEnwbsrvrqggrKkzw

Britta Hansen
31 Aug 2020 - 01:44:02

Census 1845 Hjordkær showing Maren, her parents + siblings

Her baptism

Christopher Hodge
31 Aug 2020 - 22:13:25

Thanks Britta, your time in helping me with this enquiry has been very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris