Ikke logget ind
Forside / Forum / Hjælp til at finde dine aner / Ole and Sofie Madsen

Lorane Phipps
17 Aug 2020 - 14:41
Ole and Sofie Madsen
Hi. I am looking for information about my Great Grandparents, Ole and Sofie Frederikke Madsen (Petersen), my Grandfather, Michael Frederick Hertz Madsen, and his siblings, Sophus Alexis Madsen and Eva Hansine Marie Madsen. My mother, Shirley Joan Madsen (Milne), was Michael's daughter. Thank you so much. Kind regards. Lorane Phipps (South Africa)

Britta Hansen
17 Aug 2020 - 16:07:42
Svar: Ole and Sofie Madsen

Don't you have any dates of birth, census data etc??

Might be this couple married on 29.12.1872 in Helligånds Parish, Copenhagen - Ole Madsen was living in Copenhagen: Nov 1872 Trompetergangen 5 – place of birth Horsens

Oluf Frederik Madsen *21.7.1875 Frederiksberg

Census 1880 Danmarksgade 17

Might be Ole Madsen in Census 1850 Nebel, Voer, Skanderborg. The village is called Bleld By (this is written as his place of birth in 1880 Census, they tried to spell the name of the place) The father Mads Mikkelsen was Muurmester[Murermester]

Ole Madsen in 1860 Census Ørridslev, Voer, Skanderborg

Ole Madsen *25.8.1841 Spettrup, Urlev Parish, Bjerre, Vejle

Lorane Phipps
17 Aug 2020 - 17:56:12

Hi Britta

Thank you so much for replying to my message! I am so grateful!

What I've found so far on the www.familysearch.org website is that Ole and Sofie were married on the 29th of December 1872 in Helligands, Copenhagen. His date of birth there is estimated to be 1841 but on his death notice his date of birth is estimated to be in 1856. He apparently died on 2 August 1885 in Frederiksberg, Copenhagen. On the marriage printout they estimate Sofie's date of birth to be 1839 and she died in South Africa on the 28th of September 1919 if I remember correctly. Michael was born on the 6th of July 1873 and died on the 22nd of July 1926 after a horse-and-trap accident. I have found documents under Ole's name naming his sons Oluf Frederik (born on the 21st of July 1875 and died in 1968 in South Africa) - my cousins knew of him but I didn't - Sophus Alexis (born on the 21st of October 1876) and daughter Eva Hansine Marie (born on the 15th of June 1879) - none of my family knew about these 2 siblings and I can't find any more information about them. When I looked in the Archives here in South Africa I found Alexis' name but there was a question mark about him being Ole's son. I looked on the 1870 census on this website but didn't know where the Madsen family came from so found nothing there.

Thank you for the information you've given me so far - that gives me lots to go on!

Britta Hansen
17 Aug 2020 - 22:50:46

"He apparently died on 2 August 1885 in Frederiksberg, Copenhagen " No, he did not, This Ole Madsen was unmarried and only 29 years old.

Michael Frederick Hertz Madsen *6.7.1873

Oluf Frederik Madsen *21.7.1875  

Sophus Alexis Madsen *21.10.1876 

Eva Hansine Marie Madsen *15.6.1879   

Britta Hansen
18 Aug 2020 - 02:05:41

A candidate: Sophie Friderikke Petersen *15.10.1839 Holbæk Sankt Nikolaj, Merløse, Holbæk. Parents: August Friderik Petersen and Marie Dorthea Hansen.

Her confirmation in Holbæk in 1853

This record from Durban, Natal, South Africa shows her age when she died: 80 years and 11 months. One more record

A brother Gotfred Hirth Petersen *15.2.1847 Holbæk

Lorane Phipps
18 Aug 2020 - 10:14:53

Yes, I have that record of Ole passing away on 2 August 1885, but couldn't match up the discrepancies between that record and his marriage record. Thanks for that!

How will I go about looking on the Danish records if the Sophie you've given me was married to Ole? And how will I try to find more information about Alexis and Eva? I have that record of Sophie passing away in Durban, South Africa, at nearly 81 years old, which I found in the Archives some years ago before I knew about these ancestry websites. I am also wanting to find out when and how Sophie, Michael and Oluf came to South Africa. I should imagine it would have been by ship, but as I'm new to the websites I don't quite know how to find out all the information at the moment, and not understanding Danish makes it virtually impossible for me to find out anything there.

Thank You for all your help! I so appreciate it!

Hope you have a great day.

Britta Hansen
18 Aug 2020 - 14:00:24

We should find further details about the Holbæk family: deaths of parents, probate records, records on siblings to have a confirmation of having found the right family (or the opposite)

A person called Ole Madsen died 22.10.1922 in Durban - 83 years old!!

Alexis died in Durban in 1915 

Lorane Phipps
19 Aug 2020 - 17:45:45

My goodness! So that Ole Madsen could in all likelihood be my Great Grandfather! Sophie also died in Durban so that looks more likely to be the Ole I'm looking for! That's exciting!

And Alexis also died in Durban, and would have been 39. Do you possibly have a date for his death, please? I will try to find more info on the South African records. I wonder if Eva also came here ... ?

A friend has said she'll ask her son to try and find out how and when Michael came to South Africa.

Things are getting so exciting!

THANK YOU!

Lorane Phipps
19 Aug 2020 - 17:54:19
I see you've updated Ole and Alexis' details on the website! THANK YOU!

Lorane Phipps
6 Sep 2020 - 13:17:45

Hi Britta

I was looking through the FamilySearch website and found Eva Marie Hansine Madsen on the 1880 census in Fredericksberg. The full name I had before was Eva Hansine Marie Madsen so the 2nd and 3rd names have been reversed. Her Dad was Ole and her Mom Sophie so she is my Grandfather's sister. I have searched everywhere I can think of but can't find any more information on her. Please can you try to find out what happened to her?

Thanks so much.

Warm regards.

Lorane

Britta Hansen
6 Sep 2020 - 14:30:58

Hi Lorane,

Eva Hansine Marie Madsen *15.6.1879 Frederiksberg Parish

I can't find further Danish records on her. You should search in the Soutn African sources.

Kind regards,

Britta Hasnen

Lorane Phipps
6 Sep 2020 - 19:24:40

Thanks so much, Britta.

I have searched everywhere for information about Eva but can find nothing. Maybe once the covid19 lockdown is done I'll go to the actual archives and see what I can find.

I have found a lot of information about Alexis and would like to see if I can find his son's family and try to make contact.

Thank you for all your help. I so appreciate everything.

Take care.