Ikke logget ind
Forside / Forum / Hjælp til at finde dine aner / What is the best means of tracking down an apprentice using danishfamilysearch.com?

David Larsen
23 Jul 2020 - 02:29
What is the best means of tracking down an apprentice using danishfamilysearch.com?

My gg grandfather Lars Larsen, according to these statements by his daughter, was a wheelwright apprentice for three years and then worked in the "cabinet making business" in Copenhagen for five years:

"He lived with his grandmother until he was fourteen years old. At this time he left school and became an apprentice to learn the Wheelwright trade. For three years while he learned the trade he suffered many hardships. He lived in an unheated room and had only one cooked meal a week, which was Sunday dinner.“

"His employer treated him very cruelly. When his hands were frozen and covered with large sores, he was forced to work, in spite of the excruciating pain. When he had finished this training he went to Copenhagen. Here he entered the cabinet making business, which he pursued until he was twenty-two years old".

He was born in Monge, Vejby, Holbo, Frederiksborg in 1838 and I can find him on all of the census records in Frederiksborg county up until the records of 1855 and 1860.  He emigrated to America in 1861 so I know that he was still alive during those years of 1855 and 1860.  Does anyone have any knowledge or ideas about searching records for tradesmen or apprenticeships?

Thank you,

David Larsen

Britta Hansen
23 Jul 2020 - 12:27:57
Svar: What is the best means of tracking down an apprentice using danishfamilysearch.com?

In the 1860 Census Sankt Annæ Øster, Nyhavn, Copenhagen - top left:

Lars Larsen born in Mønge is 22 years old and tjenestekarl at the Frederik Lydike family - he is a Bødkermester. The following four young men listed in the household are all Bødkerlærlinge.

Britta Hansen
23 Jul 2020 - 22:20:47
Svar: What is the best means of tracking down an apprentice using danishfamilysearch.com?

We can follow him in The Military Levying Rolls

1852_35_B315/212 - 41D_243 (1854 he went to Helsinge)

1854_41_D243 -  He went to 31_H795  (Tikøb in 1858)

1858_31_H795 - He went to Copenhagen in 1859_2717

1859_1_2717 - He worked at Høker Hansen as a Tjenestekarl.

In 1861 he was a Tømmerlærling [Tømrer] carpenter apprentice.

If he finished the carpenter apprentice period he might have been listed in this protocol: Københavns Tømrerlaug [carpenter union] journal over lærebreve I don't see him in the list.

There is very little material at the Danish National Archives about Tømrerlauget from this period (1860--)

David Larsen
24 Jul 2020 - 14:25:54

Oh my goodness, you have given me so much information to look at!  Thank you so much!  You have helped me fill the void during those years from 1852-1861.  Your name is very interesting, as the father of Lars Larsen was Lars Hansen, also of Monge.  Thank you so much and have a great day!

Best Regards,

David Larsen