Ikke logget ind
Forside / Forum / Hjælp til at finde dine aner / Neil Edward Carstens (English spelling)

Janice Ohalloran
12 Okt 2019 - 13:30
Neil Edward Carstens (English spelling)

My husband's great grandfather, Neil Edward Carstens was born c. 1850.  He went to sea as a boy and then lived in England marrying in 1882 and died in London in 1926.  On official papers he states he is from Copenhagen but we do not know if that was the Port he left from or his place of birth.  His father's name was Georg a shoemaker (on Neil's marriage certificate).  Someone pointed me in the direction of a Georg Friderich Carstens on the 1845 census for Flensborg.  Our Neil would be too young for that census and I have searched the Flensburg, Sankt Maria 2ter District for his birth but unable to find one.  Perhaps this is the wrong family anyway.  Can anyone please offer any help in finding Neil.

Kind regards,

Jan

Britta Hansen
13 Okt 2019 - 21:33:05
Svar: Neil Edward Carstens (English spelling)

Jan,

I found a candidate: the boy Niels Edvard *Feb 14, 1847 in Copenhagen, Den Kgl. Fødselsstiftelse no 1079.

Might be this boy taken into foster care in the Census 1850

His mother was Ehm Mads Larsdatter 28 years old born in Magleby, Amager [Store Magleby Parish on the island Amager] Emm Larsdatter *March 4, 1819When Emm Larsdatter left the hospital, she went to shoemaker Lønholt; might be this Niels Lønholt in Census 1850 - he lived in Sct. Annæ Gade 276 in Copenhagen.

I'll have to do some more research on these persons.

Could you pls. link to the records found in the UK?

Kind regards

Britta Hansen

Britta Hansen
13 Okt 2019 - 23:44:39

Ehm Larsdatter is back in Copenhagen in Census 1850

Em Larsdatter in the 1845 Census

Kind regards

Britta Hansen

Janice Ohalloran
29 Okt 2019 - 22:59:37
Thank you Britta.  I have had trouble getting onto this site.  I will take a look at what you have found.  I wonder where his last name Carstens came from if it is the right child.  Perhaps the father?

Janice Ohalloran
7 Sep 2020 - 00:36:05
I have come to a deadend with Niels Eduard Carstens.  Where did he go after 1850 census?  Did Em Larsdatter marry?  Could Niels Lonholt, shoemaker be the father?  I am not even sure if this is the right Niels (although lots of things fit the profile).  I have tried looking at the 1855 census on here but some of the pages go blank when I click on them.  They have not yet been transcribed and although I do not understand Danish I have been doing my best to read what is there.  Is there anyone on here who has any ideas, please?

Britta Hansen
8 Sep 2020 - 14:13:39

Niels Edvard died on Aug 14, 1851 København Vor Frelser # 120

Can we see the records you found in the UK? - please link to the marriage certificate. I can see some UK Census data on familysearch.org

Janice Ohalloran
10 Sep 2020 - 01:11:50

Hello Britta, so it definitely is not the boy born to Ehm Larsdatter.  We were hoping it was and feel quite sad.   How do I link to documents, please?  I have copies of Neil Edward Carstens' UK marriage and death certificates.  We have copies of his work papers when he worked on British ships but his age fluctuated each conract and there was no date of birth mentioned, only that he came from Copenhagen.  The only other clues I have is that NE used to tell his family that as a boy he played with the children of the man who eventually became King of Denmark - that may help with the area he was living as a child.  He went to sea age 13 (around 1862) and worked on whaling ships.

Thank you for your message, Jan